The Commission is working on its proposal for Horizon Europe, the framework programme that will succeed Horizon 2020.
This is done on the basis of various building blocks including the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, the Lab-Fab-App report (informally the Lamy report), foresight studies and various other reports.
The proposal is being made as part of the EU’s proposal for the next EU long-term budget, the multiannual financial framework (MFF)
Horizon Europe, with a budget of €97.9 billion, is the biggest ever research and innovation funding programme.
- EU budget for the future website
- EU budget for the future factsheet – research and innovation (French and German versions also available)
- Communication adopted on 14 February 2018 on a New, Modern Multiannual Financial Framework post-2020
A mission-oriented policy approach
Horizon Europe will incorporate research and innovation missions to ensure the effectiveness of research and innovation funding by pursuing clearly defined targets. The Commission has engaged policy experts to develop studies, case studies and reports on how a mission-oriented policy approach would work for Horizon Europe.
Reports and materials shaping the proposal
- Mission-Oriented Research & Innovation in the EU: A problem solving approach to innovation-led growth. This report is the result of Professor Mariana Mazzucato’s academic reflections based on her research with input from internal and external stakeholders of the European Commission.
- Presentation on mission-oriented research and innovation policy: Presentation outlining some of the main findings of the report by Professor Mariana Mazzucato
Foresight study to prepare scenarios for future contexts of EU research and innovation policy.
An analysis to set out the economic rationale for public R&Iinvestments and their impact on growth and jobs is being carried out by the Commission.
Involving citizens in setting priorities for the next framework programme
Report by the Democratic Society on involving citizens in the next framework programme
Report of the high level group on the European Innovation Council
Europe is back: Accelerating breakthrough innovation recommendations on how a European Innovation Council (EIC) should be set up to fund and nurture breakthrough innovation.
Follow #HorizonEU on Twitter
Read more about Horizon Europe here