in particular Economics, Sociology, Political Science
with a focus on the Middle East.
May 2012. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13/14.
The successful candidate will
– work on the economy of the Middle East, preferably on the performance and characteristics
of labour markets, and will investigate the links between employment and political
– provide economics expertise to the GIGA Institute of Middle East Studies and contribute to
Research Programme 3 and its interdisciplinary research (especially at the interface of socio-
economics and politics).
– Doctorate in one of the mentioned disciplines
– Regional expertise on the Middle East
– Strong background in empirical Development Economics / Development Studies / Political
Economy / Political Sociology
– Advanced knowledge of empirical methods in social sciences such as quantitative methods,
survey data analysis, poverty and distribution analysis, micro-econometrics)
– Consulting experience
– Knowledge of a Middle Eastern language (Arabic, Persian, Turkish) not necessary, but an
The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women.
Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those
areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please send your application (Ref.-No. GIGA-12-03) and relevant supporting documentation
(CV, credentials, list of publications in one pdf and a maximum of two work samples) to:
Nina Wassmann, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany.
E-mail: email@example.com. E-mail applications are preferred.
Screening of applications will begin on 1 March 2012.