In a joint appointment between the Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries (Thünen Institute) and the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of the Technische Universität Braunschweig (TU Braunschweig) the position as Head of the Thünen Institute of Agricultural Technology conjoined with the appointment of a Professor for “Digital Agriculture” at the TU Braunschweig
is to be filled immediately in Braunschweig.
The joint appointment bases on the “Thüringer Modell”. The successful applicant will either be employed as federal civil servant (Bundesbeamte) or as employee based on the Collective Agreement for Public Services (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst Bund – TVöD), depending on the requirements met. Remuneration for this position is based on the German Federal Remuneration System, remuneration up to grade B3. At the same time the applicant will be appointed as professor at the TU Braunschweig.
Profile / detailed tasks
- Heading/managing the Institute of Agricultural Technology with a total of approx. 65 staff
- Continuously developing the institutes profile, periodically preparing and coordinating the research programme, integrating into comprehensive thematic strategies of the Thünen Institute as well as of the other departmental research institutes of the BMEL
- Aligning, initiating, coordinating, managing and supervising research activities as a basis for developing policy recommendations, in particular for BMEL
- Developing third-party strategies and raising third-party funds in order to support and develop the institutes profile
- Coordinating the policy advice of the institute for BMEL and other German and international organizations responding requests and through own initiative representing Germany and work in German and international committees
- Preparing the institutes research results and science-based recommendations for the proactive presentation to the main target groups politicians, scientists, business world and general public
- Maintaining contacts with partner institutions, participating in building international networks
- Teaching Digital Agriculture at the TU Braunschweig for two hours a week.
We are seeking a highly qualified, internationally well recognized researcher with long-term experience in agricultural technology, especially in the development and assessment of agricultural production systems. Requirements for the position are: university degree and doctorate. We expect additional academic achievements which are usually provided by a habilitation or equivalent degrees. Necessary prerequisites for the position are acquisition of third-party funding, experience in cooperation with international scientific partners, and teaching experience. We expect experience in policy advice and competence in team leadership.
The successful applicant shall be able to present concepts and results in writing, lectures and discussions in a convincing manner. We expect excellent command of the German and English language. The successful applicant should have a high degree of management competence, be able to cooperate in a collegial and trustful manner also in stressful situations, and be able and ready to exercise the administrative and management tasks of the head of the institute.
BMEL, Thünen Institute and TU Braunschweig are aiming at increasing the percentage of women in leading positions and explicitly encourage qualified women to apply.
Handicapped applicants with equal qualification and adequate physical fitness will be given preferential consideration.
Requests for part-time employment will be considered if compatible with the position to be filled.
Please send your application with proof of qualification, especially detailed CV, certified copies or translations of original certificates, and a list of publications until 21 September, 2020 under the reference code 2020-172-PB Gemeinsame Berufung AT– preferably by email as a PDF file – to
Prof. Dr. Folkhard Isermeyer
Präsident des Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Instituts